Hello friends, Our traditional foods can do wonders if given small place in our life but are unfortunately ignored in the rush of overrated foods.
Cinnamon (Dalchini) is an ancient spice known from ages for its medicinal properties in Ayurveda: for bio-availability of other herbs. Now Science also agrees with its health benefits. According to research, it ranks#7 for its antioxidants level amongst all foods, outrating other herbs or spices. It has a unique aroma along with its unique sweet n spicy flavour.
The 10 top health benefits supported by scientific research are:
1. High source of protective antioxidants which protects the body from damage caused by free radicals: the levels of antioxidants higher than powerful herbs like thyme, rosemary, oregano etc. The common antioxidants it has are polyphenols, phenolic acid, and flavonoids which are found in superfoods like berries, strawberries etc.
2. Improves insulin function and lowers blood sugar levels in type 2 diabetes patients by controlling insulin metabolism and correcting insulin resistance.
3. Improves the dental health by eliminating bacteria and provides fresh savour thus acts as a natural mouth freshener, reduces bad breath and also strengthens gums. You can have a cinnamon water after meals. In dental caries keep a cinnamon stick between teeth for relief in pain.
4. Enhances skin by reducing acne with its antibiotic and anti ageing properties in initiating collagen biosynthesis. Directly apply cinnamon powder/cinnamon oil mixed with honey or water paste on the skin and rinse off after 15 mins.
5. Protects from infections with its anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and antiseptic properties, it fights the infections and helps in tissue repair.
6. Reduces weight by accelerating metabolism, reducing hunger and sweet cravings.
7. May reduce the risk of heart disease Reduces the levels of cholesterol, triglycerides and LDL (bad cholesterol) however increases the HDL levels (good lipids).
8. Reduces acidity, or stomach heaviness with its analgesic properties.
9. Eliminates Kapha by liquefying and absorbing with cinnamon’s hot potency: the cinnamic acid in it has an antitubercular effect which is good for the respiratory system thus helpful in diseases like tuberculosis, asthma and other respiratory diseases.
10. Beneficial in reproductive health, may it be amenorrhea (scanty periods), menorrhagia (heavy periods) or PCOD by regulating hormone levels and increased metabolism.
I hope it was helpful 🙂
Lots of love