You will be amazed to look insight of how happiness is served to you. All of us know that cola drinks are not good for us but most of us don’t know exactly how it affects our health. While the exact recipe is carefully kept secret, still the ingredient list includes lots of chemicals. Let’s have a look
Sugar: One serving of cola (330ml) contains 10 teaspoons of sugar which are more than the recommended added sugar per day by WHO that is less than 6 teaspoons. Means you gulp up your whole day’s carbs in just one glass which is also in unhealthy form. You can now imagine drinking more than a glass. Most of this sugar is replaced by high fructose corn syrup due to cost reasons.
Healthy sugar-free diet colas are even worst as the sugar is replaced by unhealthy artificial sweeteners, aspartame and sucralose, even much harmful as they slowly induce seizures, cancer, brain disorders and sclerosis.
Phosphoric acid: It is corrosive acid, forms toxic fumes with alcohols. ketones and other compounds. It is the main constituent of fertilisers, detergents, polishes, dyes etc. Sharp and tangy flavour of cola is attributed to this toxic acid.
It also provides the highly acidic pH of around 3. Pretty enough to dissolve teeth and bones with time.
Caffeine: One serving(330 ml) of carbonated drink includes around 30 mg of caffeine. This is why carbonated causes insomnia and sleep disorders.
Now let’s see how these ingredients work together to bring us happiness
According to a report made by the former pharmacist Niraj Naik. who runs a blog The renegade pharmacist. It reveals what you go through in 60 mins of drinking a cold drink.
1. First 10 mins: You could immediately puke after consuming 10 spoons of sugar (100% of your dietary allowance), but phosphoric acid with its sharp flavour dulls the sweetness and helps keep it down.
2. 20 mins: Dramatic increase in blood sugar levels, triggering a large amount of insulin, the liver thus turns this sugar circulating in our blood into fat.
3. 40 mins: The body is now done with caffeine absorption. Pupils dilate and blood pressures increases, in response liver dumps more glucose into the bloodstream. The adenosine receptors are blocked now preventing the feeling of drowsiness.
4. 45 mins: Body start releasing dopamine levels triggering your pleasure centres in the brain, the heroin works in the same way.
5. 60 mins: The phosphoric acid binds to calcium, magnesium and zinc in your gut providing more boost to metabolism. This combines with high sugar levels and increases the urinary excretion of calcium.
6. 60 mins: The diuretic properties of caffeine makes you to pee, excreting the bound calcium, magnesium and zinc in urine.
7. 60 mins: As the rave happiness inside you finishes, you start feeling sluggish and strained.
So, this was how you open happiness with coke. Will you still crave for the bubbly drinks because these are the only choices we are given outside when we ask for a drink? We can always choose our health over a pleasure of moments. choose smartly.
The better alternatives of cola drinks:
- Plain water: Although they are priced same as of fizzy drinks but nothing works better than plain water.
- Lemon water
- Coconut Water
- Badam Milk
- Iced tea
- Fresh fruits and Vegetable juices
- Green tea
Packaged fruit juices also contain as much sugar as carbonated drinks. Please avoid them as well.
Don’t kill yourself just to quench your thirst. Live healthy, live strong.